I bet you didn”t know how close some of your favorite movies of all time came to being ruined by terrible casting. Seriously. Just imagine Tony Stark/Iron Man being played by Tom Cruise instead of Robert Downey Jr.? Yeah, that almost happened. I shudder thinking about how terrible that would have been.
Here are 20 of your favorite movies that would have been ruined if the casting director had gone with their first choice:
1. Matthew McConaughey almost played Jack in Titanic.
2. Leonardo DiCaprio came close to playing Patrick Bateman in American Psycho.
3. Sarah Michele Gellar almost played Cher Horowitz in Clueless. Thankfully Alicia Silverstone ultimately won the role.
4. Crazy to think, but Jim Carry was originally considered for the role of Captain Jack Sparrow.
5. This would have been interesting. Daniel Day-Lewis turned down the role of Aragorn for Lord of the Rings, and left it for Viggo Mortensen.
6. Wow no. David Boreanaz was supposedly the first choice to play Batman before it went to Christian Bale.
7. Britney Spears almost had Rachel McAdams part in The Notebook. Just imagine how different that movie would have been.
8. Micky Rourke turned down the role of Butch Coolidge in Pulp Fiction, which was then played by Bruce Willis.
9. Nic Cage was apparently up for the role of Neo in the Matrix. There are no words for how terrible that would have been.
10. Imagine Mel Gibson playing the lead in Gladiator? Yeah me neither, but he almost did.
11. I hope the person who suggested David Schwimmer as J in Men in Black got fired. That would have just been plain awful.
12. Anne Hathaway was considered for the lead role in Knocked Up. I think she made the right choice.
13. Liam Neeson could have been James Bond in Goldeneye, but he lost out to Pierce Brosnan.
14. Imagine Sean Connery in the Matrix as Morpheus? It”s probably for the best that you don”t.
15. Russell Crowe as Wolverine? That would not have been good.
16. Colin Farrell could have been James Bond instead of Daniel Craig in Casino Royale.
17. Another near miss with Tom Cruise. He was up for the role of Ferris Bueller.
18. Sean Connery was also up for the role of Gandalf in Lord of the Right. Sorry Sean, You just can”t seem to catch a break on this list.
19. Gwyneth Paltrow as Rose from Titanic? Yeah I guess I could see that.
20. OJ Simpson nearly got the lead role in Terminator. Thank the heavens he did not.
(Via: Elite Daily)
Wow, so many near misses with my favorite movies. Thankfully, these roles ended up going to the actors who were perfect for it. Share these close-calls with others on Facebook by using the Share button below!