Vitaliy Raskalov and Vadim Makhorov love Hong Kong. The Russian friends have made several pilgrimages to the city over the last few years. Aside from it being a very welcoming city, they say, Hong Kong is amazing for urban exploration. Especially rooftop exploration.
The pair have created a movement out of urban rooftop exploration in Hong Kong. They”ve documented these Hong Kong adventures on their website. They seem completely at home hanging out with the city”s skyline.
Warning: Some of these pictures might give you vertigo, they”re that crazy.
1. In Hong Kong, getting to the roof is quite easy apparently.
2. The safety regulations are actually kind of weird.
3. Residential buildings” roofs are usually unlocked at all times.
4. It”s possible that someone might actually be living on the roof when you get there.
5. In the business-center things are a little more difficult.
6. Most exits have security cameras, and alarms that alert the police and building security.
7. Usually though in the business center you don”t need any special permission to get into the buildings.
8. During the work week all the doors for buildings in the business-center are open, and all the alarms are switched off.
9. Because Hong Kong is an island, the buildings are very tall and densely packed.
10. It”s not uncommon for residential buildings to sometimes be 40 stories tall, but only have two apartments on each floor.
11. This is because of the limited space of the island.
12. I could never do that. It looks so dangerous.
15. For those with an itch to explore a ton of rooftops, Hong Kong is a paradise.
17. Real estate prices in Hong Kong are among the highest in the world.
18. On average their prices are 55 percent higher than in London.
19. There are cheap flophouses scattered around the city, but you need to know where to find them.
20. The duo credits themselves with bringing the urban exploration craze to Hong Kong.
21. They even made their own tee-shirts for a time, which promptly sold out. More are on the way.
22. There”s always at least some smog in Hong Kong.
23. It”s easy to get lost exploring Hong Kong, but the city has a great public transportation system to get you back where you need to be.
24. Taking in the sights.
25. Such a fantastic view.
26. Good thing his shoes are tied.
28. Shooting the city at sunset.
29. Looking down on the chaos of the city.
Wow, alright I”m convinced. Hong Kong is next on my list of places to see. Make sure to share these death defying photos with your friends on Facebook by clicking below.