Death is something each of us will face at some point. Most people probably wish that, when they die, it”s painless and peaceful. Some, though, hope to go out in a blaze of adventurous glory. There are those in this world who want to die with their boots still on. Let”s face it, though. Old age or heart failure will get most of us.
…Except for these people. They died in the most unbelievable and bizarre way possible.
1. 455 BC: Athenian author Aeschylus was killed when an eagle dropped a tortoise on his head.
2. 1327: King Edward II of England was supposedly murdered by having a horn push open his anus and a red hot iron was inserted, burning out all of his insides but leaving no mark on the body.
3. 1567: Hans Steininger, burgomaster of Braunau broke his neck and died by tripping on his 4.5 ft long beard.
4. 1771: Adolf Frederick, king of Sweden had one insanely big meal and ate himself to death.
5. 1871: An Ohio lawyer named Clement Vallandigham accidentally shot himself trying to show how the victim of the man he was defending could have shot himself instead of being murdered. The defendant was found innocent, but Vallandigham died from the wound.
6. 1923: George Herbert, 5th Earl of Carnarvon died after cutting open a mosquito bite shaving. The wound got infected and he caught pneumonia.
7. 1958: Actor Gareth Jones died in between scenes in a TV play. In the play, his character dies of a heart attack, as did Jones.
8. 1979: A factory worker at the Ford Motor Company, Robert Williams, became the first person killed by a robot. One of the arms of the factory machines hit him in the head.
9. 1993: A Toronto lawyer fell from the 24th floor of the Toronto-Dominion Centre, throwing himself at a window in order to prove to visitors how unbreakable it was. The window never broke but popped out of place.
10. 2007: Jennifer Strange died of bladder failure after trying to win a Nintendo Wii from a radio promotional contest, “Hold Your Wee For A Wii”.
11. 2009: Canadian folk singer Taylor Mitchell was killed by coyotes. Strangely this is the only recorded case of dying from this particular species.
12. 2012: Edward Archibold died of choking after winning a cockroach eating contest.
13. 2014: Twenty-one year old Oscar Otero Aguilar died by accidentally shooting himself in the head trying to take selfie while holding a loaded gun.
Every one of these poor people ended up being famous…just not for a reason they would have liked. At least they went out with a bang.