Dolphin Day is celebrated in order to raise awareness of the mammal”s decreasing numbers in the wild. Not only are they truly majestic creatures, but they are highly intelligent beings that behave very similarly to us humans. They”re very playful and live in social groups, they”re all around awesome animals, and gosh darnit, they deserve to have a day all to themselves!
2. This guy has been waiting for this day all year.
3. This family is taking a nice leisurely swim after their Dolphin Day breakfast.
4. They had a feast of fish and squid which they topped off with a spread of crustaceans.
7. “Thanks for the well-wishes…but where”s my present?”
8. A lot of people don”t know it…
9. But these guys are dolphins, too!
10. They”re the largest member of the dolphin family.
11. Most dolphin species live in the shallow areas of tropical, temperate oceans.
12. But some live in rivers, like this guy.
Look how happy he is!
13. Usually a mom only has one calf at a time.
15. Sometimes they jump just for fun…
16. But sometimes they “spy hop” to check out their surroundings.
17. If you spot them swimming alongside your boat…
18. It”s because they”ve figured out that they can conserve energy by riding along with the current your vehicle creates.
19. So smart, those dolphins!
20. Their pods can consist of anywhere from five…
22. Since they need air to breath, and they also need to sleep…
23. Only half of their brain sleeps at a time…
24. Which is pretty cool.
I”d get so much more done if my brain could do that.
25. So on this here Dolphin Day…
26. Take a minute to really appreciate these aquatic mammals.
27. Because look at this little dolphin.
Just LOOK at him.
There are many different places you can donate to help the dolphins of the world, but you can start by simply raising awareness of the struggles that dolphins endure, like drowning in fishing nets, or the hundreds of dolphin slaughters that result from the tuna industry. Justice needs to be served to these sweet animal friends!