Until very recently, medicine used to be a cruel and brutal practice. Evidence of the field”s brutish past is literally plastered everywhere on the Internet. Looking at creepy vintage medical pictures is one thing, but what if you could own a piece of that creepy history?
Thanks to the power of the Internet, now you can. Surprisingly enough, Etsy has a robust (and disturbing) collection of old-school medical oddities for you to take home. For some of these prices, how can you afford not to start a creepy collection of your own?
1. These vintage medical teeth will only set you back $9.95.
2. This porcelain hospital enema pail is on sale for just $12.95.
3. How about some electrotherapy to improve your life? This $155 DIY electrotherapy kit from 1920 is a good place to start.
4. Or how about an old-school nursing book from 1955? It”s just $18.00.
5. This early surgical tool from around 1900 is a terrifying steal at $18.00.
6. For just $12.95, you can own this horrifying Soviet-era syringe. It even comes with an extra needle. You know…just in case.
7. At only $25, you can own these nightmarish plaster teeth.
8. For those looking for something a little bit fancier, how about a set of gold-plated surgical tools? $100 sounds like a good deal.
9. Take playing doctor to the next level with this 1940s stainless steel syringe for just $16.51.
10. Everyone”s living room could use an antique hospital bowl full of syringes. At $22.95, how could you resist?
11. If you”re feeling adventurous, you can own this beautiful gynecology speculum for just $39.
12. These bizarre little things are vintage dental molds from the 1950s, and they”re only $8!
13. I”m not quite sure what these are, but they look painful. At least the price is right at $29.
14. Need more disturbing surgical tools for your collection? How about these bad boys? Not bad for just $36.50.
15. This is a vintage tonsil snare from around 1910. It looks absolutely terrifying and it can be all yours for $24.99.
16. How about some painful-looking curved tweezers for just $9.99?
17. $15 seems like a bargain for this creepy old syringe.
18. You never know when you might have to perform surgery, so it”s always good to have a couple of double-ended abdominal operating retractors around. For $20, how can you afford not to?
19. This is the Shelton Violet Ray. It pretty much just gave you an electric shock and said you were cured. $75 doesn”t seem like such a bad price.
I really think one or two of those vintage syringes would look good on my mantle. They would really tie the room together. I just can”t imagine what my dinner guests would say…
Find more vintage creepiness in the links below.