Before he became one of the most influential presidents in recent history, Ronald Reagan was an actor. From 1937 until 1965, Reagan was a well respected name in Hollywood. He starred in over 70 movies and TV shows during his acting career.
During that time, he was also a spokesperson for a number of brands, many of which happened to be tobacco companies. Just wait until you see some of these ridiculous vintage ads starring young Ronald Reagan.
1. If it”s good enough for Reagan, it”s good enough for me.
2. Here”s Reagan in a screen shot from an commercial for General Electric before he got into politics in 1958.
3. Reagan endorsed a variety of cigarette brands during his acting years.
4. He was also a cigar spokesman.
5. I had no idea that Marlboro also made shirts. (They must have been good if Reagan endorsed them, right?)
6. Some more Reagan approved cigarettes.
7. So that”s the secret to his beautiful hair…
8. Had enough of Reagan endorsing smoking yet?
10. Reagan was also a big fan of traveling by rail.
I had no idea Reagan was in that many advertisements, let alone that many for cigarettes. I guess it didn”t really hurt his political career, but it probably did hurt his lungs.